Deportivo-La-Coruna.com Forum  

Go Back   Deportivo-La-Coruna.com Forum > Our forums > World Football
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

World Football For other football that's not related to Depor. For example: the Primera División, Segunda División A, Segunda División B, the Champions League, EURO 2008, the World Cup 2010, Italy, England, Germany, Turkey etc.

Old 04-03-2010, 12:36   #16
ggeorg

Peña Member

ggeorg is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh, Rack, i can't believe my eyes

On a more generalised note, i would add that there are many unstable factors that could change the route of the game.
A bad ref decision, a bad field after a heavy rain, a strong wind, a balloon thrown in by a naughty boy , etc...
All these kind of instability, are in favour of a sport, that is still a game (at least to my eyes).

Of course due to technology, these things could be ruled out. Artificial grass, fully closed stadiums, stable temperature, wide video coverage and new technologies, to correct any mistakes by the ref etc...
In this way the only factors that could decide the game, are the players' ability and the luck.

Ideal for some, clinical and souless to me.
ggeorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 13:04   #17
Rack
Veteran
Peña Member

Rack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggeorg
...In this way the only factors that could decide the game, are the players' ability and the luck.

Ideal for some, clinical and souless to me.

Fair enough points you made Georg and I find it hard even myself to disagree with you. But a game that is decided by the skill and ability of the players and the team, with the odd bit of luck thrown in, is far better in my eyes than one that is decided principally as a result of a bad refereeing/linesman decision that can be easily overridden by using the technologies available to us. It doesn't have to radically change the game as we know it.

Remember, up until the 60's no substitutes were allowed. And up to the '80's there was no back pass rule. Times change and it's time to at least look at introducing technology for the offside rule.

Btw, clinical and souless is exactly how I felt about the game of football after the Thierry Henry handball affair recently. So......

Good debate now, I think! Bring it on!
Rack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 16:20   #18
Chris

Chris is on a distinguished road

Agreed on that, Rack. The game has change through decisions that were inconceivable at their time of introduction. Abolishing a wage cap, the points system, both courtesy of Jimmy Hill. The Bosman ruling handing players an unprecedented amount of freedom.

That doesn't change my opinion that scrapping offside would be detrimental to the game.

All of those big changes in the game have culminated in the game that we have today. It's the most watched sport in the world, it generates incomprehensible amounts of money, and is ingrained in cultures to the extent that millions identify themselves through it. There is too much at stake in football to risk something as preposterous as ridding the game of its most identifiable rule.
Old 04-03-2010, 16:21   #19
deporiginal
Legend
Peña Member

deporiginal is an unknown quantity at this point

Well again Rack, I still believe having three referees on the pitch is far too much. How would they be able to judge offside better while they're on the pitch anyway? Of course linesmen make a wrong decision once in a while, but many times we forget when they make a right decision, which in the end is about 90% of the times. No point in three referees whistling for the same foul at once either. And again, for the players, it's super confusing and annoying to have three people running around the pitch who have nothing to do with the game being played. They're just obstacles.

Your second point is perhaps not a bad idea, for big games... As long as the ref on one side of the pitch isn't allowed to cross over to the other side and has no authority over what happens on the other side. Except maybe to clear out controversial decisions on the other side, like how the fourth referee works. They'd be much more on top of the game. Yeah, I actually like that idea

Goals are always nice, but I don't really mind low-scoring games... It makes the single goal feel more special It also makes football a unique sport... As far as I know, it's the only sports event that can end without anyone scoring a goal And having to watch a penalty every 2 minutes would be quite silly as well.

I agree with you on the last point though, I still don't get why tv's can't be used to determine important decisions in important games. The deal could be that they could only be used in cases where there's no "interpretation" of the referee possible. By that I mean, if a referee thinks he saw a foul from a certain angle, even if there was no foul, he can still whistle. But he can't interpret whether the ball was over the line or not... It either is, or it isn't. So I'd say, use cameras in important games to determine whether the ball was over the line or not, and to decide if a goal should be cancelled/allowed after a possible offside situation.

And of course the offside rule is sort of a defender's 'teammate'. It makes football and defending a hell of a lot 'smarter'.

Last edited by deporiginal : 04-03-2010 at 16:30.
deporiginal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 17:39   #20
Filip
Administrator
Peña Member

Filip is an unknown quantity at this point

and think... 2 or 3 referees ... each having their own style...
when you're at once side of the field you cannot even make a whisper without getting a yellow, while on the other side you can make fault tackles without much fuzz...

what is the back-pass rule???
Filip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 17:59   #21
Rack
Veteran
Peña Member

Rack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filip
...what is the back-pass rule???

It's the main reason why Liverpool stopped being successful. That, and Graeme Souness! Filip, do you not remember the time when you could pass the ball back to your keeper from anywhere on the pitch and he could pick the ball up in his hands legitimately? By outlawing that one thing, FIFA did so much to improve the spectacle of football. It was another of the defender's 'favourite team-mates' along with the offside rule.

You're ok with 2 of my 4 suggestions Greg? I'm happy for that 50% strike rate with you, Sir!
Rack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 18:37   #22
Filip
Administrator
Peña Member

Filip is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rack
It's the main reason why Liverpool stopped being successful. That, and Graeme Souness! Filip, do you not remember the time when you could pass the ball back to your keeper from anywhere on the pitch and he could pick the ball up in his hands legitimately? By outlawing that one thing, FIFA did so much to improve the spectacle of football. It was another of the defender's 'favourite team-mates' along with the offside rule.

jo ahaaaa!!!!! i call that the pick-up rule
Filip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 23:35   #23
dejan84
Banned

Peña MemberBanned

dejan84 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
Without the offside rule, team would just stick one player up the front and he'd just be leaning on the post chatting with the keeper until the ball comes.

my thoughts exactly, now the team has to move as a unit, if there was no offside there would be a lot less movement in my opinion, we would be watching horrible scottish football everywhere, (long balls on a lumberjack like looking attacker)
dejan84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 00:35   #24
caabrego
Administrator
Peña Member

caabrego has disabled reputation

And what's next? to remove the lines from the pitch? then we will start to see the players moving the ball at the stands!
Old 05-03-2010, 04:09   #25
Paul
Peña Member

Paul is on a distinguished road

In most cases, the offside errors come where the linesman allows the play to continue when the attacker is in an offside position. Usually it's a case of being too close to call so the linesman gives the benefit of the doubt to the attacker. I'm a fan of this because, in my opinion, it is the defender's fault to rely on the linesman when it is very close. When it's that close, the defender(s) can't be entirely sure if the attacker is offside or not.

OK, that above paragraph didn't have much to do with the current issue. I understand there are problems with the rule as there have been many instances where the linesmen have made some real howlers. In relation to goals being scored (or any other advantage an attacking team might obtain) after a linesman wrongly allowing the play to continue when there's been an offside, I don't think will do any harm to just have a video confirmation when the play is stopped to ensure the players were onside.

As for an attacking player being wrongly called offside, I don't have any solutions to that. The only thing I can think of is just having the linesmen allow the very close ones and only call it when they're sure.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 10:42   #26
Mortenlj
Super-Seasoned
Peña Member

Mortenlj is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by caabrego
And what's next? to remove the lines from the pitch? then we will start to see the players moving the ball at the stands!

But think about the attendance Carlos, it would a sell-out every time!