Deportivo-La-Coruna.com Forum  

Go Back   Deportivo-La-Coruna.com Forum > Our forums > World Football
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

World Football For other football that's not related to Depor. For example: the Primera División, Segunda División A, Segunda División B, the Champions League, EURO 2008, the World Cup 2010, Italy, England, Germany, Turkey etc.

Old 05-08-2011, 13:07   #1
The DK Blanquiazul
Peña Member

The DK Blanquiazul is on a distinguished road
Default Champions League 2011/12

Was wondering why this thread wasn't up yet. Anyway, today saw the draw for the play-off round.

Champions route
Wisla Krakow v Apoel
Maccabi Haifa v Genk
Dinamo Zagreb v Malmo
FC Copenhagen v Viktoria Plzen
Bate Borisov v Sturm Graz
League route
Odense v Villarreal
FC Twente v Benfica
Arsenal v Udinese
Bayern Munich v Zurich
Lyon v Rubin Kazan

Relatively familiar names in the Champions route this time around, with the sole exception of Viktoria Plzen. Unfortunately, I don't think they'll make it against Copenhagen.

The league route has produced some tasty ties. Arsenal have to be careful not to let this one slip away and Lyon are going to suffer a lot.

Didn't see a lot of games in the previous round, but certainly, Odense's performance against Panathinaikos was extraordinary and they are already punching quite a bit above their weight by making it this far.

Generally speaking for this year's CL, I really hope we get some good draws in the group stage, cause the potential is there. With Man City in the third pot while Napoli and Dortmund are in the fourth, this could become very exciting, for once.

The DK Blanquiazul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2011, 12:09   #2
DepHun
Legend
Peña Member

DepHun is on a distinguished road

entertaining matches yesterday between Arsenal-Udinese, Twente-Benfica and Lyon-Kazan. Toto Di Natale should learn to pass from free-kicks from the corner, and not to shoot among the audiance... I was a little angry on Saviola, for making a lot of wrong decisions on counter-attacks. Gomis is the man, but laughable missed chance together with Bastos...
Congrats to Plzen!
Old 17-08-2011, 13:16   #3
Joak

Joak is an unknown quantity at this point

København will beat plzen easy! rbk has been poor and is on eight place in the league.. they played better against Aalesund then plzen and lost 3-0.
Joak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2011, 13:25   #4
DepHun
Legend
Peña Member

I did not see the match yesterday, but the result makes it quite likely, that Plzen is gonna do it.
Old 17-08-2011, 14:16   #5
deporiginal
Legend
Peña Member

deporiginal is an unknown quantity at this point

I was quite shocked by Copenhagen's loss yesterday. Plzen's first goal was lucky, but the other two goals were great. I can't see Copenhagen turning this around, but you never know. Plzen was great on the counter yesterday. I don't think they'll remain scoreless at home.

I have a bad feeling for Genk though. They lost De Bruyne and Ogunjimi to injuries the past week, and the current situation with their coach is downright bizarre. Apparently Vercauteren is set to leave for Al-Jazira, but he's still at the club. Chances are that he'll be gone by the return leg though. When the draw was made, I thought Genk was the favorite to win, but now things are looking good for Maccabi Haifa.
deporiginal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2011, 14:28   #6
Filip
Administrator
Peña Member

Filip is an unknown quantity at this point

Plzen will win it, good result for our champions.
Filip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2011, 20:38   #7
deporiginal
Legend
Peña Member

Genk is getting destroyed in Israel

In the first fifteen minutes, Maccabi was like a hurricane. Genk has major problems on their wings, but that was already obvious in their league games. Without Ogunjimi, they lost a striker who can keep hold of the ball, and without De Bruyne they're lacking a lot of creativity. Just as Genk was restoring the balance and even created two good chances, Maccabi doubled the score. They even got close to 3-0 in the following five minutes, but then Genk took over again, which lead to 2 more good chances.

Genk really should've done better with the chances they got though, but 2-0 is the correct score at half-time. If Genk keeps the momentum they had at the end of the first half, the 2-1 would be deserved. But 3-0 seems just as likely, considering how bad Genk's rightback is. Still though, Maccabi's defense is very shaky as well, so if Genk finally puts some consistency in their attack, they can still get something out of this game.

Such a shame they lost their two most important players to injuries last week.

Edit: 2-1 in the end, could've been worse. I can't say I give Genk that much chances in the return leg though, it'll be really tough to keep the clean sheet. Genk missed a huge chance at the end though, I almost punched the wall when Kennedy headed it way too soft towards the empty net

Last edited by deporiginal : 17-08-2011 at 21:45.
Old 18-08-2011, 03:11   #8
Riazor warriors
Veteran
Peña Member

Riazor warriors is on a distinguished road

what a huge error from Villarreal's new defender Zapata that maybe will cost them a CL ticket..!!

http://www.footytube.com/video/odens...41?ref=hp_lmrv
Riazor warriors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2011, 11:32   #9
DepHun
Legend
Peña Member

Greg, if you say the headed chance in the very end, when a player had half a second to realise that the ball comes near to him, I say, it was a nice reaction that he even headed the ball towards the goal.
Köteles was a mediocre keeper in Hun, and now he is very close to CL, quite shocking for Hun sport-audiance. Are you going out for the revange match?

Yeah, Zapata made a big mistake, RW, but Villarreal should make it at home. If not, they deserve not to reach CL.

Nice goal from Robben.
Old 23-08-2011, 20:51   #10
deporiginal
Legend
Peña Member

Doesn't matter who qualifies, Genk or Maccabi, but either of them will surely concede a crapload of goals in the group stage
Old 23-08-2011, 21:52   #11
baye

baye is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by deporiginal
I was quite shocked by Copenhagen's loss yesterday. Plzen's first goal was lucky, but the other two goals were great. I can't see Copenhagen turning this around, but you never know. Plzen was great on the counter yesterday. I don't think they'll remain scoreless at home.

When the FCK coach decides to start the match with only one striker and with two slow players on the central midfield then you know the result will not be really good. Especially when you know the only striker at front (Ndoye) often runs back to the midfield to get the ball. The right wing Bolanos has had a long vacation and therefore he is not in shape and the new left winger Diouf seems to be a really bad player. The new captain is a 21 yo unstable guy who should not be in charge. If he can't control his own game then how should he be able to take control over the whole team!?

The overall problem is the lack of international experienced players. The FCK team in last season had more experienced players in Grønkjær, Pospech, Kvist, Wendt and Antonsson which really does mean a lot. The replacements has been two guys (Thomsen and Ottesen) from a small danish club in the premier danish league (Sønderjyske), a norwegian guy (Grindheim) from a club in Netherland and an unknown Senegalese (Diouf) from a club somewhere in Norway. The FCK team in last season was really good and I don't think we will see a danish team like that in the next many seasons to come. It was once in a lifetime unfortunately.
baye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2011, 21:53   #12
baye

baye is on a distinguished road

The danish team OB lost 3-0 in Villarreal. No surprise there.
baye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2011, 22:18   #13
Michał
Peña Member

Michał is on a distinguished road

My God, so now it's APOEL...just when we all thought we couldn't have drawn easier side, won the first leg...it turns out that even Cyprus champion is better than "mighty" Wisła

Years ago when Platini haven't yet changed the qualification rules Polish champion (usually Wisła) faced in UCL Barcelona twice, Madrid, Panathinaikos, Valencia, etc (talking about 21st century only). But now it's much easier and still we have been waiting for 15 years for a Polish team in CL and we'll wait at least one more year (guess it'll be more), while countries like Cyprus, Belarus, Serbia or Croatia have their teams there. Welcome in Poland - 40 milion inhabitants country where everyone says football is our national sport. **** me.

Naprijed Dinamo!
Michał is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2011, 22:22   #14
deporiginal
Legend
Peña Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michał
**** me.
In about ten minutes, I'll be saying the same thing Belgians and penalties... It has become a terrible combination over the past few years I guess it can't be worse than Anderlecht last year. Either way, Genk played a great game against a team that's clearly stronger in attack. Maccabi's defense however, is their weak point, especially their goal keeper. But it wouldn't surprise me if that guy suddenly stops a penalty or two now. Seeing how technically skilled Maccabi's players are, I'm pretty sure they know how to take a good penalty. I'm really quite confident that Genk isn't going to survive the penalties. Let's hope for a Belgian penalty miracle

Well I'll be damned

By the way, what the hell went wrong at APOEL's first goal? Sure, it was a very weird ball, but I'm pretty sure it didn't cross the line until Wisla's keeper jumped on it and for some reason pushed it into the back of the net. Quite a silly way to throw away the CL, and lots and lots of millions.

Last edited by deporiginal : 23-08-2011 at 23:09.
Old 24-08-2011, 03:04   #15
Riazor warriors
Veteran
Peña Member

Riazor warriors is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michał
My God, so now it's APOEL...just when we all thought we couldn't have drawn easier side, won the first leg...it turns out that even Cyprus champion is better than "mighty" Wisła

Years ago when Platini haven't yet changed the qualification rules Polish champion (usually Wisła) faced in UCL Barcelona twice, Madrid, Panathinaikos, Valencia, etc (talking about 21st century only). But now it's much easier and still we have been waiting for 15 years for a Polish team in CL and we'll wait at least one more year (guess it'll be more), while countries like Cyprus, Belarus, Serbia or Croatia have their teams there. Welcome in Poland - 40 milion inhabitants country where everyone says football is our national sport. **** me.

Naprijed Dinamo!

with a goalkeeper like this poland will never make it
Riazor warriors is offline   Reply With Quote